Thursday, September 22, 2016

Jewels of Athariah: It Pains Me But

It Pains Me But...

6 January 806
Castle Lariar in the County of Qanice, the capital of Kerusir Duchy

Wulay sat on her throne a half vacant stare on her face. Today, like every sixth day of the month for the rest of her life, was court day. The one day a month where peasants and nobles alike could bring petitions, grievances and/or concerns directly to her. Since she took the throne at twelve from her father she has settled more land disputes and ownership of livestock than her father before her.

Today was shaping up to be no different. The chancellor Wurk held several scrolls in his hands. When she noticed the one with the red string, her vacant look started to fade a bit.

"Wurk," she called out. Wurk placed the scroll on a long table and walked over to her.

"My Erudr," he said bowing his head.

"One the scrolls in you have there. One them has a red string tied around it," she stated calmly. Wurk looked at the scrolls and noticed the one she referred to.

"Indeed it would seem so." He broke the string and the seal. His eyes widen in disgust as he read it. Wulay gave him a sideways glance. He shallowed hard then turned to her.

"My Erudr, this is a murder case. Apparently the mayor of Da is unable to make adjudicate do to his relation to the accused. Apparently the evidence is circumstantial. He implored you to see justice is done," Wurk said paler in color, "He has documented all the evidence in his letter and will support your decision."

"I see. Announce the case," she said straightening up in her throne.

Wurk nodded but he took a minute to compose himself. When he was composed he took a deep breath. In a loud booming voice, "Her noble and benevolent ladyship will now here the case of Aron the murderer. Guards brings the accused in."

The doors of the hall opened up. A guard led the prisoner in by a chain. While two guards followed behind him with man-catchers. The guard got within the customary distance and bowed his head. He angrily forced the prisoner to his knees.

"Peace. Does the Myriad Text not say that my action reflect my heart? When I do deeds of righteousness and good my heart is righteous and good. When I do wicked action my heart is wicked."

"There is wisdom in your words. I will order my steps appropriately," the guard said.

"Let Awa be your light," she said. Her line was repeated by those in attendance except for the prisoner.

"Are you not moved by Awa's might?" Wulay asked curious about his answer.

"How can I be? When Awa has killed my wife and children and placed me in bondage," was his answer.

"Sacrilege..." Wurk muttered to himself. That earned him another sideways glance from Wulay.

Wulay sighed, "It pains me see an unfaithful among my people. As it is written if the people and the ruler are truly one, then any malaise of the people is a malaise on me. Under that thought you turn me into both a murderer and victim of murder."

"I did not murder them! I loved my family," he screamed at the top.

Wurk walked closer to him. "Explain why you were covered in their blood," Wurk said.

"Yes explain that," Wulay parroted.

"I found them like that. I had been hunting alone all afternoon. When I came back with tonight's meal I found them there. There throats had been slashed. My wife dead in my arms."

"Do you often hunt alone?" Wulay asked. The prisoner remained silent. Wulay smiled and spoke, "I recall a recent petition from the mayor. Tarks have been spotted in the area around Da. You must either be exceptionally skilled or immensely brave to hunt alone. Or is there a third option?"

The guard yanked his chain a bit. "Answer her, worm," the guard demanded.

"I had plans to do something hunting with the other hunters. But when I left my home that morning I had plan to go off to see my lover. We had been meeting on my way for a tumble. We spent so long in each other's embrace I was unable to met up with the hunters only grabbed small game."

"Then where is this lover. Why are they not here corroborating your story?" Wulay inquired.

"They have much to lose if exposed."

"My Erudr this is man is a liar. There is no lover. He speaks blasphemy. He murdered his family. While his motives are unknown, I believe it is irrelevant."

Wulay sighed, "Wurk, as much it pains me I agree with you assessment. I loathe to take the lives of my own citizens but I am left with little choice. I find you guilty of murder. I sentence you to death. May Awa grant you peace."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments whether they are what you like about this post or what you didn't like, critiques, suggestions for other games I should do AARs for, questions you would like answered. Please keep them constructive and fairly pleasant.